Monday 14 January 2013

Lifelong 'strict' Gluten Free Diet

How do you think that made me react?

Answer: Aaaarrrrrghhhh!!! How, What, Where, Oh help where do I start?

To which the medical profession didn't seem to have the answers.  The Coeliac UK website was of much more help, but some of the advice on there was even more scary than not knowing at all!!

Gluten Free :  This means that I cannot eat anything which contains Wheat, Rye, Barley or Oats or any of their derivatives.

'Strict': Means that I cannot even have the smallest crumb of anything which contains the ingredients above.

What you have to think like is as if I had a very severe nut allergy, where even the slightest amount of oil could put my life at risk.  This is how I have to deal with the issue of Cross Contamination.

Then you start reading labels: Boy is that an eye opener.

No comments:

Post a Comment