Monday 14 January 2013

A complete rediscovery, and a positive approach

14th January 2013

As you can see from my previous posts I have had a very scary journey to get to where I am now.

I have been involved in Guiding and Scouting since I was 7 and if it's taught me anything, it is that when needs must a bit of imagination can usually overcome an obstacle, sometimes it can have hilarious results too!!

This maxim: Anything is possible with a bit of imagination is what invented my 'edible' Gluten Free Jaffa Cakes!!

As I discover more on my Gluten Free journey, I intend to post here as a kind of Journal so those who are dealing with this condition and have never cooked anything can find very basic quick recipes.

I have 23years of not having anything in the fridge, 2 very hungry children and a very hungry husband!!  Food doesn't frighten me and never has, and I have learnt through this journey that many people had no idea how to make a basic sponge cake.   Many of the recipes on the packets and in the recipe books seem to have hundreds of ingredients that are unnecessary and that many of us would find at the back of the cupboard years later!!  The Victoria Sponge recipe will also make around 24 fairy cakes if its divided between the cake cases.

KISS is also a good thing to live by: Keep It Simple Stupid.  Most of my recipes can be done in 1/2 hour or less, the Jaffa Cakes and the Twiglets take longer as they are a bit fiddly, but they're worth it for special occasions.

Like anyone I don't want to spend my life in the kitchen so I've either got to be in the mood to spend all day there, or have a lot of time on my hands!! Those two things rarely happen together.

Quick pizza bases are easily rustled up out of GF Naan Bread and you can make it interesting by using the flavoured variety if you can find them!!

Don't get disheartened there is tasty Gluten Free food out there, and if you can't find it have a go at inventing it,  I found my Karma, but I often find solace in the kitchen sometimes aimlessly stirring to make a sauce is the space I need to clear my head!!

No comments:

Post a Comment