Tuesday 2 April 2013

Recipe for a brilliant Curry Sauce

If you've always loved Curry then this will be good.  If like me you're not sure try this recipe, since I've had it I have become a complete convert to Curry.

This recipe was given to me by an Indian lady who came to give a talk about Curry at a women's meeting I used to attend.


3 tblsp vegetable oil
2 oz onion peeled and finely chopped
1 inch cube of fresh ginger, grated
2 cloves of garlic finely grated
1 tsp cashews/almonds finely grated (I never use this0
½ pint single cream (I always use milk, it works just as well and always in the fridge!!)
1 tsp ground roasted Cumin Seeds
½ tsp paprika/chilli powder
¼ tsp garam masala............equal amounts of cardamom pods, cloves and cinnamon (I'd start with 3 pods 3 cloves and miniscule amount of cinnamon) and grind it yourself.
2 tsp tomato puree
¼ pint chicken stock
1 tbsp ground parsley ( I never use this)
Salt and Pepper to taste (I never add this either!)

Method: Heat oil in pan over medium heat, put in the onions and fry til soft. Add garlic, ginger and ground almonds fry for 1-2 minutes. Add ground cumin, chilli powder, garam masala fry for ½ a min. (This smells fantastic!) Add cream and tomato paste and fry for 1 min. Add chicken stock and simmer for 20mins. This keeps for around 3 days in the fridge, if you can stop people eating it!! It also freezes well.

Since I've had this recipe I have never resorted back to Curry powder, this is much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment