Sunday 14 April 2013

Be careful

Please be careful.  I was invited to a party recently to celebrate a Golden Wedding.  When I explained all the  stuff about having to be gluten free I was met with these two responses:

Our daughter is 'wheat intolerant' so there will be things there that you can eat.

and  maybe it would be easier if you bought your own food.

You have to be extremely careful as many people think that 'gluten' is only present in Wheat!!  If I had turned up (as it happened I was unable to attend) with no food, I could have been offered Rye Bread, Oatcakes (which I hate) or anything that may have contained Barley.  

Wheat intolerance, is also not always gluten free as is shown in the statement above, that is why some of Doves Farm Flours are labelled Gluten and Wheat free, since not all Gluten free food will be wheat free (that will be the CODEX wheat starch.)

It is not a foregone conclusion that just because it doesn't contain wheat it will be gluten free.  This is a very common misconception and if you think about it, it does sort of make sense since most flours are made of wheat unless otherwise stated.

Just be wary, or you may be caught out on this one.  Rye, Barley and Oats contain less gluten than wheat but they are NOT gluten free, which as a Coeliac is what you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment