Monday 25 November 2013

Have Confidence in yourself

Many People find that trying to cook Gluten Free is going to be really complicated, and this applies to Cakes more than anything else.

If you have baked regularly before, have confidence in your ability.  Things can go wrong with a Gluten Free Cake just as much as they can with an ordinary cake.  I discovered this last week!!  I made a sponge cake with a script mix, which normally wouldn't have caused me any problem BUT I was in a hurry, and I rushed putting in the raising agent and didn't measure it out properly.  Result a sponge that spilled all over the cooker took longer to cook and wasn't particularly nice to eat, but hey it was Cake and it was a waste to throw it away.....so I ate it!!

Yesterday I got baking again and I made sure I used the Juvela script mix, as my Christmas Cake trial only needed plain flour, so no raising agent at the last minute.  I used an old recipe that I've used before and it came out fantastically well......moral, make sure you have time, and don't rush things.  I also made another sponge cake and used the Gluten Free Doves Farm Self Raising Flour...this time no problems at all, partly I suggest because the flour altready had the raising agent in it.

All baking to a point is to do with confidence, just think how you thought about baking before, if you were confident when using ordinary flour, be the same with the GF flour.    I hate the Gluten Free recipe books as many of them use this, that and the other flour mixed together, when really all you really want is the two bags of flour you used to have in the cupboard i.e. One SR and one Plain.    Then use as you would ordinary flour with all the recipes you already have at home.

Scones is the one I have problems with.  Juvela fixed my gingerbread for our gingerbread house as my recipe didn't work, due to the lack of gluten in the flour, but once you add an egg, no problem.

If you have a simple recipe that you have been using for years with no problem, I would just say substitute the flour and see what happens, but have the confidence that it will work, because 98% of the time it will.

Don't doubt yourself, we've all had sunk cakes (I've just made a ginger cake, and usually it sinks, this time with GF flour, it hasn't!!) and made mistakes, when I forgot to put any flour at all into Nigella's chocolate marmalade cake!! 

Gluten Free flour (Doves Farm is the best) is not as difficult as everyone makes out.   Trial and error is the order of the day, I have only had one thing not work quite as it should and that was the Gingerbread, but now I can make gingerbread men

I can understand why you are nervous, but who isn't the first time they take on something new, but have confidence and try things, is it really going to be that bad if your cake isn't quite what you expected?

No comments:

Post a Comment