Saturday 31 August 2013

Is it really the END of August?

It seems to have gone on forever!!! I guess it's because my family have been gallivanting about and enjoying things.  DD2 went off to Kent International Jamboree with the Explorers for a week camping, and had a wonderful time.  DD1 flew out to Germany to meet up with a friend for a week.

In between those two events they both had some time with Daddy DD1 went on an overnight canoe camp, and DD2 scared hiim witless at Thorpe Park (I didn't go on either of those, the first event not enough room in the boat!! and I HATE rollercoasters, so not much point in going to the Second event!!)

When DD2 and DH went to Thorpe Park, I took myself into Reading for the day as I needed to do some mobile phone research and it was an ideal excuse to go and look around the shops.  I also managed to have lunch out that day in Cafe Rouge, who were a revelation to me, and I had a wonderful time.

Somewhere in the middle of all of that we fitted in our short break in Cardiff, as mentioned previously.  DD1 has also attended Reading Festival and had a really good time.  Her AS results came in whilst she was in Germany and she is very happy with them.

We have also in the last few days been up in the Peak District with my family as my Dad was 70 on Thursday.  I impressed myself yesterday when I managed to scale Bradwell Edge without an awful lot of difficulty. Last time I tried to do anything like that was around 4 years ago, in Somerset when I hit the proverbial wall half way up, and I didn't know why, this time around I didn't struggle at all, I think that maybe the fact that the anaemia has been sorted out, and the thing that was causing it has also been sorted out maybe the logical answer, anyway I was well impressed that I kept up better than I hoped I would.

The evening before this said walk we had gone out to dinner at a wonderful place called 'The Poachers Arms' in Hope.  Gluten Free choices and although there was a lot of bread the only things I was unable to have were the Fish and Chips and the Pie, so well worth a visit if you are ever in the area (Peak District National Park) I even had Bakewell tart!!  Such a nice change from the 'oh I don't know what you can have'....scenario that is so often presented to me.  Had a good time and I now have somewhere else I can eat with confidence (although probably won't be there that often, Mum and Dad still very active and quite often down here catching the ferry to France).

The summer holidays are nearly over and the grind of normality will soon sink in (certainly by Friday anyway!!)

The trip to Cardiff seems an absolute age away, and another 5 days seems like a long time too....which says to me that this summer break has been much better than the last one. Hardly surprising considering what was going on this time last year.....waiting for tests, procedures and eventually diagnosis and trying to enjoy the summer....was nearly impossible.   This time around, apart from the odd hiccup, has been much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment