Saturday 23 August 2014

Goodness me, and those snacks I posted about!!

Have I really been away that long, I was absolutely amazed that I hadn't posted on here since Christmas.  And again I have to say is it really the middle of August.

First things first the snacks of crisp and crunch etc.  Here is the promised recipe.

1 Glutafin Baguette
1 bottle of Good quality Olive Oil ( you won't need all of it!!)
Salt to taste.

Heat the grill to around 160c

Take the baguette and slice into wafer thin slices.  Cover the slices with the olive oil (until they are the golden colour.  Sprinkle with salt.

Place the slices on the grill on foil, and bake for around 5 mins.   Take out and put in bowl. Enjoy.
As I am very greedy I managed half a baguette on my own!!!  but the other half I did put in the freezer.

Be Warned: They are habit forming!!

I have been away from the blog for a lot longer than I thought, but to be honest there are several things going on there. One is I have now got my head back into it's rightful place, and I needed to be away from here in order to deal with this.  Also thanks to some very 'old' (for that read long term) friends, I am not so afraid to go out of my comfort zone to eat now, and I am not afraid to ask questions.

You are the customer, therefore they should be helping you.  A certain lady by the name of Jude reappeared in my life when I was quite low and invited me out for a drink, my old personality resurfaced and I said yes, just to go to the pub outside of my normal (read nowhere, here) haunts.   She then contacted me again and said she would meet me in town for lunch if I picked the place, as I would need to ask all the questions etc.  I took her up on the offer and I had a fab experience at Nando's who couldn't have been more accomodating.  This was back in February, and I said to Jude then, had she asked me 6 months earlier the answers would have either been excuses not to go, or a straightforward NO.  Thanks to her, my confidence has soared and I am again becoming more adventurous, and therefore back to my normal 'pre-coeliac' me!!

My Friends and family if you are reading this you have been so good, even when I've been grumpy or a little 'I don't want to do anything....ish'  have been absolutely fantastic.  Invited to the Marie Curie Cancer Care Garden Party one Chocolate Gateau that was set aside for myself and one other Coeliac attending, that was of restaurant quaality.  We were even given lunch made with help from myself in the form of instructions of what to do, so I didn't have to take any food with me. Thank You Kay.
A Lemon Drizzle Cake delivered on the Doorstep whilst I was out. First attempt at Gluten Free. Guinea Pig Yes....But 'Hey' it was free cake for me! Thank You. Marianne.
Several trips to lunch, and pubs and an awful lot of laughing, with the Jude mentioned above and many more to come I hope! THANK YOU.
And to Nic for arranging a shopping trip to Reading to go Christmas Shopping, turning up with gluten free Cake on the station, so that we could use any of the cafes and know that I could have something to go with it while we were out, we then had the nicest surprise when I discovered a street vendor who understood Coeliac and I had lunch out that I wasn't expecting (so I carried my sandwiches all around town that day in my bag!) Thank You, that meant a lot to me.

Recently I seem to have people crawling out the woodwork.  Dinner with Jude and a HUGE pud in my Facebook profile pic, with a lot of laughter and a couple of bottles of wine later, for starters.
Then a School Friend who I had not seen since before we picked up our Exam certificates, and myself finally managed after two years to get together.  Again much laughter and talking about people I hadn't heard about for years.(and the obligatory bottle of wine.)
Another shopping trip with Nic and out to lunch this time at Bella Italia....that was an amazing experience, it's not often I get told 'we know all about Coeliacs I'll let the chef know' end of conversation.  I think Nic must be my good luck charm!

Before you all say, gosh you eat out a lot, yes, but this was my previous life it has been modified but that doesn't mean I enjoy it any less.  Then when both my girls were away at Camp, DH and I had a few days to ourselves.  We went down to Southsea for the day, and I took a GF cone with me.  Well you have to have ice cream at the seaside don't you!!  We had a lovely day, came home and then went to checkout a little pub that advertised outside that it did, Gluten Free, Vegetarian, and Vegan food.  I asked for the menu and was told I could have Burger in a BUN....wow....with Chips and Cheese plus any relish I would like......well you can imagine I had died and gone to heaven at that point......no contest.   We are due back in October for a family celebration of our Silver Wedding.

It has taken a long time and I am still discovering things and finding things either aren't for me or have been taken off the menu, but the good thing is my old 'normal' if different approach self, is beginning to resurface.  It's never going to be quite right but the acceptance bit is now happening.   I have a lot more confidence now, and am not afraid to vote with my feet when things aren't quite right.   Fun with food is creeping back in and on the whole most places are fairly accomodating.

Jason at Oslar Coffee deserves a mention here, as because I asked him to, he now has wraps to go (GF), Crisps, Biscuits, Cake Bars and Ice Cream (I've yet to give him the info for small amounts of GF cones, instead of the bulk order he can't afford atm) Having said that the tubs and spoons are there and all the Ice Cream is GF.  As a result I am a very regular and loyal customer....He listened to what I would like and other people have benefitted from my comments, to the point that quite often he never has any wraps for me when I want them!!  Thank You.

Communication is the key, and some friends like the ones I am very lucky to have.  It takes time and don't expect to be able to deal with everything at once, you won't.

Because my confidence has grown, and knowing that the best way to learn and to help myself is to help others I have volunteered with CUK as a Mentor on the Member2Member programme.  Re engaged with my love of reading, and as a consequence have also become a volunteer with a local charity that helps Children rediscover and gain their confidence back with reading, from may be not being where they ought to be in their reading, for a variety of different reasons.  Can't wait to get started on that, next term.

As for my Scouting, I have stopped doing weekly meetings which has helped enormously and now hold the unenviable position of  District Cub Scout Leader (although I'm one of 6!) which means 2 visits a term and a little bit in between. so therefore I am not being pulled in several directions at once. I have a mostly administrative role, but I am also a Training Advisor to new leaders. Which is a better balance than I had before

Yes in a sense I will miss the Cubs, however as I am a Lollipop Lady I get to see the kids everyday anyway and the volunteering during the day with the reading charity will mean I will see them then too.  I realised that doing things in the evening (apart from spontaneous fun) was not agreeing with me and I needed to change some things. I work far better in the afternoon than I do in the evening.  I also find that six week chunks is more manageable for me as I get the rest during the holidays that at present my body is telling me I need.  It's understandable really, I have spent years doing all these things running on empty and under par.  Now everything is starting to sort itself out my body is definitely saying at the end of term, you need to stop and recuperate.  This time I'm listening!!

Yes mistakes happen and I do get ill, last time was the worst as it laid me up for a week (steer clear of M and M's) with excruciating pain.   But my recovery is much quicker than it was to start with, and it's easier (even if it did take me 3 days) to work out what has caused the problem.  I have the medication here to deal with it if the need arises.

At present I am trying to fend off a head cold which has invaded my sinuses.  Given time it'll go.

I am now nearly the 'real' me again and much happier for it.  Thank you to all my friends mentioned above and several others I haven't mentioned (you know who you are) who have been there for me when I least expected it.  This journey is ongoing, but it has been made easier by your willingness to learn with me and listen for hours on end to me prattle on about food, and how complicated life is, and probably bore you stiff!





No comments:

Post a Comment